|Dark Castle Other[[Image:]]|
|Developer(s)|| Original Silicon Beach Software |
Ports Three-Sixty Pacific, inc.
|Release date(s)|| 1987 (Commodore 64)|
1987 (Commodore Amiga)
1987 (Atari ST)
1989 (Apple IIGS)
|Platform(s)||Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga, Atari ST, Apple IIGS, CD-i|
- This article mainly refers to the ports of Dark Castle, and the differences between them and other versions, for more general Dark Castle info visit Dark Castle
After winning many awards, and being a top seller on the mac, Three-Sixty ported Dark Castle to many systems, including Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga, Atari ST, Apple IIGS, and CD-i.
The graphics for Dark Castle on the Mac where highly praised for the clearness, and high resolution.
Clearly porting Dark Castle to other systems with lower resolution was going to be an issue. The graphics where downgraded on most of the ports, making the graphics seem more watered down, bland, and blocky.
All the ports of Dark Castle included color graphics, some of which look fine, while others which look completely out of place.
The sounds on the Mac version of Dark Castle were also praised. While the Macs of the time had better sound hardware, most of the ports were stuck with inferior sounds.
A lot of the ports had a lot of sounds cut, with the remaining ones sounding distorted and loud.
The reception of most of the ports was lukewarm, to above average, with criticism for the CD-i version caused by sloppy framerates and levels blown up to consist of more than one screen.
- Dark Castle - For more general info.
- Dark Castle SEGA - Page for the dreadful Sega port of Dark Castle
- Dark Castle PC - Page for the PC port of Dark Castle.
- Beyond Dark Castle Other - Page for the ports of Beyond Dark Castle.